FAQs: CEE Freshmen Advising Process [2018-2019]

• E-mail Notices on the Faculty Advising Process

Your official UCI email serves as the only communication path from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering regarding the mandatory Faculty Advising Process, as well as other program matters. You are solely responsible for regularly checking your UCI email and responding as appropriate. No other media options are currently used.

• Why Do We Have Faculty Advising for Undergraduates?

The simple answer is that annual faculty advising of undergraduate students is required for engineering degree program accreditation; a degree from an accredited engineering program is required to qualify for professional registration; and professional registration is required for engineering practice. The advising process, however, exists for many practical reasons. Our program requirements evolve thus regular meetings with students are the best way to provide information on current programs and planned changes. In this regard, faculty advising complements but does not replace annual meetings with Samueli School of Engineering (HSSOE) counselors to develop a Plan of Study. The faculty advising process also provides an opportunity for students to discuss a broad range of issues with program faculty, whether involving degree issues, specialization choices, career opportunities, or even professional practice. It provides a good deal of potential opportunity at a very low cost.

• What Is the CEE Faculty Advising Process for Freshmen?

Many academic programs assign freshmen to advisors, faculty who will remain in that capacity as the student proceeds through the program. This fixed reference point is a benefit to many students who have questions throughout the year. We have chosen to assign freshmen to a cohort of faculty advisors, providing a fixed group of advisors for the same group of students over the entire time that they are in the degree program. Each advising cohort has a faculty member from each research area (structures, transportation, and water resources and environmental). Your faculty advisors will continue to advise you as long as you are in our UG programs.

• When Is CEE Faculty Advising for Freshmen?

The faculty advising process is mandatory for all undergraduate students in the Samueli School of Engineering's Department Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE). Faculty advising involves meeting with a faculty member in group and/or individual advising sessions. Faculty advising is in addition to the advising you receive from Samueli School of Engineering undergraduate counselors.

The formal process for freshmen and transfer students begins in the fall quarter and continues throughout the year. The advising process for sophomores, juniors, and seniors begins in the winter quarter [see FAQs ].

To avoid missing communications with the department regarding advising or other matters, always check your official UCI e-mail regularly. This is the best way for us to effectively communicate with our students.

• How Does the Freshmen Faculty Advising Process Work?

There are two components to the process: group advising and individual advising:

Group Advising provides freshmen an overview of campus, school, department, and degree program policies, programs, and opportunities. Scheduled sessions will introduce you to your advisors and will include a summary of the degree programs, an overview of the ABET accreditation process, academic honesty, and information on how to achieve success in the program. In subsequent years, information will be presented on program changes, research and professional opportunities, graduate school, and achieving professional engineering registration.

A special session providing an Overview of Environmental Engineering is often scheduled with group sessions to provide more detailed information of the BSEnE major. This session is optional but may be of interest to BSCE and BSEnE majors, particularly those early in their programs.

Individual Advising sessions provide each student the opportunity to meet with a CEE faculty member to discuss career paths, research opportunities, and a variety of other topics related to civil and environmental engineering. Each student will select a faculty member from the advising cohort and will schedule a meeting. Sessions may be individual meetings or small groups. It is recommended that freshmen meet with an advisor as often as once each quarter. At a minimum, freshmen must meet with an advisor at least once each year, in either a group session or individual appointment, otherwise, a hold will be placed on your registration for the next fall quarter (see below).

• When and Where Is The Advising Process Scheduled?

In Civil and Environmental Engineering, we have implemented a 2-phase advising process for freshmen:

  1. Group Advising: You must attend a scheduled freshmen group advising session. You do not need to register for an advising session, but you must attend one.

    In Fall 2018, the Freshmen and Transfer group sessions are:

    1. CEE Freshmen & Transfers Session 1: Thursday October 4th 5:00-6:30pm [ MDEA ]
    2. CEE Freshmen & Transfers Session 2: Monday October 8th 12:30-1:20pm [ MDEA ]
    3. CEE Freshmen & Transfers Session 3: Tuesday October 9th 5:00-6:00 PM [ MDEA ]

    Note: During the Group Session, you must sign a form recording your participation.

  2. Individual Advising: After the group advising sessions are completed, you will have the opportunity to meet with an individual faculty advisor (see list below). If you complete the group advising, then the individual advising is optional. Otherwise, if you do not complete the group advising requirement, then you will receive an email from the Department with information on selecting a faculty advisor -- you must directly arrange to meet with a faculty advisor to complete the advising requirement.

• Who Are the Faculty Advisors for the Fall 2018-19 Freshmen Class [Class of 2022]
Professor Lizhi Sun
Area: Structural Engineering
Office: EG 4137 / Tel: 949-824-8670
Professor Will Recker
Area: Transportation Systems Engineering
Office: AIRB 4074 / Tel: 949-824-5642
Professor Amir Aghakouchak
Area: Water Resources & Environmental Engrng
Office: ET 506A / Tel: 949-824-9350
Professor Brett Sanders
Area: Environmental Engnrng & Water Resources
Office: ET 844D / Tel: 949-824-4327
Professor Mo Li
Area: Structural Engineering
Office: EG 4145 / Tel: 949-824-5333
Professor Stephen Ritchie
Area: Transportation Systems Engineering
Office: AIRB 4014 / Tel: 949-824-4214

• What Determines Freshman or Transfer Status?

Freshmen include students taking typical freshmen classes, primarily first year math and science courses as well as courses such as CEE81A or Engr7A-B, regardless of the total number of UCI credit hours completed to date. Freshmen are planning to take sophomore CEE courses in the next academic year.

Depending on the prior institution or degree program, transfer students could be freshmen, sophomores, juniors, or seniors. However, if you are new to our CE and EnE programs this year, you should attend a fall Freshmen and Transfer Group Advising session. Transfers will then be assigned to the appropriate cohort of faculty advisors depending on completion level of program requirements.

• Is This Process Mandatory?

Yes, you are required to complete this process each and every year. Faculty advising is required of our degree program accreditation and, more importantly, it provides channels for communication with program faculty. It complements, not replaces, advising from counselors in the HSSOE undergrad office (with whom you should also meet annually).

Freshmen must attend either a Group Advising session in the fall quarter or arrange to meet individually with a faculty cohort advisor. If you do not fulfill this requirement, a hold will be placed on your fall registration.

In subsequent years, as a sophomore, junior, or senior, you will be advised in the winter quarter via group or individual sessions. If you will be continuing with courses at UCI in the next year, then you must fulfill the advising requirement.

If you are planning on transferring to a different major, you still must complete the CEE advising process until you have formally transferred. If you are planning to transfer to CEE, you are encouraged to participate.

• Do I Need to See the Same Faculty Advisor Each Time?

No. You are free to see any of the four faculty members in your advising cohort. You may continue to see the same advisor or you may change at any time. If you wish to be advised by a faculty member not in your faculty cohort, please check with the CE or the EnE UG Advisor.

• What If I Miss a Group Session?

If you miss the group sessions, you must contact the CE or the EnE UG Advisor. You will likely need to schedule a meeting as well as to review and summarize the group advising slide presentation. Fulfilling this requirement will prevent a hold from being placed on your registration.

• What If I Don't Sign-up for an Individual Session?

If you do not attend a group session, then you must contact a faculty advisor to arrange for an individual faculty advising meeting (or simply go to one of their posted office hours). It is recommended that freshmen meet with a faculty advisor often, but you do not need to meet with a faculty advisor every quarter.

• What If I've Already Met with an HSSOE Counselor?

You should meet with an HSSOE UG Counselor every year, but this does not replace the requirement to complete the faculty advising process. If your degree program Plan of Study (developed with and filed in the HSSOE UG Office) is not up to date, then you should arrange to meet with a counselor prior to participating in the faculty advising process.

• What Is The Penalty for Not Attending?

If you do not either attend a Group Session in the fall or meet with a faculty advisor individually at least once during your freshman year, then you will have a hold placed on your registration for the following fall quarter. You will be dropped from all courses for which you have registered. An hour in a group session or 15 minutes in an individual session will be well worth the time investment.

• Where Can I View the Group Advising Slides?

A copy of the Freshmen group advising slides will be available after the group sessions are completed.

All program requirements are included in the UCI General Catalogue.

• Other Questions Regarding Advising?

Each undergraduate program has a designated UG Advisor who can be consulted on any issues but particularly those issues not associated with the faculty advising process. There is also a CEE Student Affairs Coordinator. For the 2018-2019 Academic Year, these contacts are:

Professor M.G.McNally
CE Undergraduate Advisor [except Fall 2018]
EnE Undergraduate Advisor [Wtr/Spr 2019]
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: AIRB4048 / 949-824-8462
Professor Diego Rosso
CE Undergraduate Advisor [Fall 2018]
EnE Undergraduate Advisor [except Wtr/Spr 2019]
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: ET 844F / Tel: 949-824-8661
Kylie Springsteen
Student Affairs
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor Sunny Jiang
Department Chair
Civil and Environmental Engineering

• Who/what/where are the HSSOE UG Counselors?

The Undergraduate Student Affairs Office offers academic advising by both academic counselors and peer advisors in the School's Student Affairs Office, 305 Rockwell Engineering Center. Counselors are full time HSSOE staff whose role is to advise students on program rquirements and to develop a Plan of Study that serves as a roadmap for completing your degree. Meetings with counselors can be scheduled as 30 minute appointments. Each counselor has walk-in hours for "quick" questions at least once per week. Peer Academic Advisors are generally available for walk-ins at some point each day. Their office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The office closes between noon and 1 p.m. for lunch. Feel free to contact them at (949) 824-4334 or via email at .

• What Is My Plan of Study?

A Plan of Study is simply a four year schedule of planned courses that will facilitate your completion of your degree program on time. You should meet with an HSSOE UG Counselor once per year to develop you Plan of Study for at least the current and following year. This Plan will include all program required courses as well as General Education options.

FAQs: CEE UG Faculty Advising for Freshmen [ back to top ]

[ © mgm | last revised 17 September 2018 ]