FAQs: CEE Faculty Advising Process [2018-2019]

• E-mail Notices on the Faculty Advising Process

Your official UCI email serves as the only communication path from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering regarding the mandatory Faculty Advising Process, as well as other program matters. You are solely responsible for regularly checking your UCI email and responding as appropriate. No other media options are currently used.

• Why Do We Have Faculty Advising for Undergraduates?

The simple answer is that annual faculty advising of undergraduate students is required for engineering degree program accreditation; a degree from an accredited engineering program is required to qualify for professional registration; and professional registration is required for engineering practice. The advising process, however, exists for many practical reasons. Our program requirements evolve thus regular meetings with students are the best way to provide information on current programs and planned changes. In this regard, faculty advising complements but does not replace annual meetings with Samueli School of Engineering (HSSOE) counselors to develop a Plan of Study. The faculty advising process also provides an opportunity for students to discuss a broad range of issues with program faculty, whether involving degree issues, specialization choices, career opportunities, or even professional practice. It provides a good deal of potential opportunity at a very low cost.

• What Is the CEE Faculty Advising Process?

Many academic programs assign freshmen to advisors, faculty who will remain in that capacity as the student proceeds through the program. This fixed reference point is a benefit to many students who have questions throughout the year. We have chosen to assign freshmen to a group of faculty advisors, providing a fixed group of advisors for the same group of students over the entire time that they are in the degree program. Each advising cohort has a faculty member from each research area (structures, transportation, and environmental or water). Your faculty advisors will continue to advise you as long as you are in our UG programs.

• When Is CEE Faculty Advising for Undergraduates?

The faculty advising process is mandatory for all undergraduate students in the Samueli School of Engineering's Department Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE). Faculty advising involves meeting with a faculty member in group and/or individual advising sessions. Faculty advising is in addition to the advising you receive from Samueli School of Engineering undergraduate counselors.

The formal process for sophomores, juniors, and seniors usually begins in the winter quarter, although students are encouraged to see a faculty advisor at any time. A schedule will be announced prior to the quarter as to when the group sessions will be scheduled (see below). Individual sessions, as an option to group sessions, must be individually scheduled directly with a faculty member from your advising cohort.

To avoid missing communications with the department regarding advising or other matters, always check your official UCI e-mail regularly. This is the best way for us to effectively communicate with our students.

Freshmen and Transfers: Please note that the advising process for freshmen and transfers will begin in the fall quarter. Please review the Freshmen FAQs. Transfer students who have completed their freshman year should also join the winter advising process corresponding to their year in their degree program.

• How Does the CEE Faculty Advising Process Work?

There are two components to the process: group advising and individual advising:

Group Advising provides students an overview of campus, school, department, and degree program policies, programs, and opportunities. Sessions will include a summary of the degree programs, an overview of the ABET accreditation process, and information on academic honesty, research and professional opportunities, graduate school, and achieving professional engineering registration. Group sessions are of particular importance for freshmen and transfers, or for any student not following the typical plan of study or meeting annually with an HSSOE counselor.

A special session providing an Overview of Environmental Engineering is often scheduled with group sessions to provide more detailed information on the BSEnE major. This session is optional but may be of interest to BSCE and BSEnE majors, particularly those early in their programs.

Individual Advising sessions provide each student the opportunity to meet with a CEE faculty member to discuss career paths, research opportunities, and a variety of other topics related to civil and environmental engineering. Individual sessions are often more useful than group sessions for sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Each student must meet with an advisor at least once each year, in either a group session or individual appointment, otherwise, a hold will be placed on your registration for the next fall quarter (see below).

• When and Where Are The Advising Sessions Scheduled?
  1. Group Advising; You do not need to register for a group advising session, but you must attend one.

    The Group Sessions for 2018-2019 are:

    Freshmen and Transfers: Week 1 of Fall Quarter ( FAQs and Schedule )

    Sophomores and Juniors: Winter Quarter 2019
    Sophomore and Juniors will be notified via email regarding Group Session schedules.

    Note: During the Group Session, you will sign a form recording your participation.

  2. Individual Advising: After the group advising sessions are completed, you will have the opportunity to meet with an individual faculty advisor (see list below). If you complete the group advising, then the individual advising is optional. Otherwise, if you do not complete the group advising requirement, then you will receive an email from the Department with information on selecting a faculty advisor -- you must directly arrange to meet with a faculty advisor to complete the advising requirement.

• Who Are Your 2018-2019 Faculty Advisors?

Your cohort of faculty advisors is determined by your year in our academic programs. There are different faculty cohorts for "Freshmen", "Sophomores", and "Juniors", and "Seniors".

  1. Freshmen include students taking typical freshmen classes, primarily first year math and science courses and CEE81A, regardless of the total number of UCI credit hours completed to date. Freshmen are planning to take sophomore courses in the next academic year. If you are a freshman, please see FAQs.

  2. Sophomores include students taking typical sophomore classes, including second year math courses as well as courses such as CEE30, 20, 11, 81B, and 21, regardless of the total number of UCI credit hours completed. Sophomores are planning to take junior courses in the next academic year. You will be part of the winter quarter advising process and will attend a group session designated for "Sophomores".

  3. Juniors include CE students taking courses such as CEE121, 150, 170, 130, 151A, 171, and 110, and EnE students taking courses such as 150, 170, 130, 110, 160, and 162. You are planning to take senior courses in the next academic year. You will be part of the winter quarter advising process and must attend a group session designated for "Juniors".

  4. Seniors include students who are taking the CEE181 Senior Design course sequence as well as specialization and engineering electives. Seniors who are graduating at the end of the current academic year are not required to complete the formal advising process. However, if you are planning to take any courses to fulfill degree requirements in the next academic year, then you must complete the advising process this year. There is no formal group advising process for seniors; only the individual advising process must be fulfilled. You must contact one of your faculty advisors and schedule a meeting.

It is recommended that transfer students (from outside of UCI or from other UCI degree programs) attend a freshmen group session in the fall quarter of their first year in the program and then complete the appropriate Sophomore, Junior, or Senior requirements in the winter and in subsequent years.

• 2018-19 Freshmen Faculty Advisors [Class of 2022]
Professor Lizhi Sun
Area: Structural Engineering
Office: EG 4137 / Tel: 949-824-8670
Professor Will Recker
Area: Transportation Systems Engineering
Office: AIRB 4074 / Tel: 949-824-5642
Professor Amir Aghakouchak
Area: Water Resources & Environmental Engnrng
Office: ET 506A / Tel: 949-824-9350
Professor Brett Sanders
Area: Environmental Engnrng & Water Resources
Office: ET 844D / Tel: 949-824-4327
Professor Mo Li
Area: Structural Engineering
Office: EG 4145 / Tel: 949-824-5333
Professor Stephen Ritchie
Area: Transportation Systems Engineering
Office: AIRB 4014 / Tel: 949-824-4214

• 2018-19 Sophomore Faculty Advisors [Class of 2021]
Professor Anne Lemnitzer
Area: Structural and Geotechnical Engineering
Office: EG 4149 / Tel: 949-824-8133
Professor Jayakrishnan
Area: Transportation Systems Engineering
Office: AIRB 4055 / Tel: 949-824-2172
Professor Jasper Vrugt
Area: Water Resources & Environmental Engrng
Office: ET 844E / Tel: 949-824-4515
Professor Kuolin Hsu
Area: Water Resources & Environmental Engrng
Office: EH 5320 / Tel: 949-824-8826
Professor MJ Qomi
Area: Structural Engineering
Office: EG 4151 / Tel: 949-824-0612

• 2018-19 Junior Faculty Advisors [Class of 2020]
Professor Ayman Mosallam
Area: Structural Engineering
Office: EG 4149 / Tel: 949-824-3369
Professor Wenlong Jin
Area: Transportation Systems Engineering
Office: AIRB 4038 / Tel: 949-824-1672
Professor Soroosh Sorooshian
Area: Water Resources & Environmental Engrng
Office: EH 5308 / Tel: 949-824-8825
Professor Joel Lanning
Area: Structural Engineering
Office: EG 4167 / Tel: 949-824-3765
Professor Kristen Davis
Area: Environmental Engrng & Water Resources
Office: ET 544E / Tel: 949-824-4498

• 2018-19 Senior Faculty Advisors [Class of 2019]
Professor Jean-Daniel Saphores
Area: Transportation Systems Engineering
Office: AIRB 4028 / Tel: 949-824-7334
Professor Michael Hyland
Area: Transportation Systems Engineering
Office: AIRB 4022 / Tel: 949-824-5084
Professor Russ Detwiler
Area: Water Resources & Environmental Engrng
Office: ET 844C / Tel: 949-824-7152
Professor Adeyemi Adeyele
Area: Environmental Engineering
Office: ET 516F / Tel: 949-824-5819
Professor Farzin Zareian
Area: Structural Engineering
Office: EG 4141 / Tel: 949-824-9866

• Is This Process Mandatory?

Yes. You are required to complete this process each and every year. Faculty advising is required of our degree program accreditation and, more importantly, it provides channels for communication with program faculty. It complements, not replaces, advising from counselors in the HSSOE undergrad office (with whom you should also meet annually).

As long as you will be continuing with courses at UCI in the next fall quarter, you must fulfill the advising requirement. If you are planning on transferring to a different major but have not yet completed the transfer, then you still must attend the CEE advising process or a hold will be placed on your registration. If you are planning on transferring into CEE, you are encouraged to participate.

• Do I Need to See the Same Faculty Advisor Each Time?

No. You are free to see any of the four faculty members in your advising cohort. You may continue to see the same advisor or you may change at any time. If you wish to be advised by a faculty member not in your faculty cohort, please check with the CE or the EnE UG Advisor.

• What If I Miss a Group Session?

If you miss the group sessions, you must directly arrange for an individual advising session with a faculty member form your advising cohort. You may also contact the CE or the EnE UG Advisor to make other arrangements (such as reviewing and submitting a written summary of the group advising slides). Otherwise, a hold will be placed on your registration next fall.

• What If I Don't Sign-up for an Individual Session?

Until you meet with a faculty advisor in a scheduled group session or individually with a member of your designated faculty cohort, you will not be able to register for further classes. If you do not take advantage of the scheduled group sessions, then you will be individually responsible for contacting an advisor and scheduling an appointment.

• What If I've Already Met with an HSSOE Counselor?

You should meet with an HSSOE UG Counselor every year, but this does not replace the requirement to complete the faculty advising process. If your degree program Plan of Study (developed with and filed in the HSSOE UG Office) is not up to date, then you should arrange to meet with a counselor prior to participating in the faculty advising process.

• What Is The Penalty for Not Attending?

If you do not complete the annual Faculty Advising process, then a hold placed on your registration for the following fall quarter. Any courses in which you are registered will be dropped if you do not satisfy this requirement. An hour in a group session or 15 minutes in an individual session will be well worth the investment.

• Where Can I View the Group Advising Slides?

The freshmen; sophomore; and junior group advising slides, as well as the EnE Overview slides, will be posted after group sessions are completed.

All program requirements are included in the UCI General Catalogue.

• Other Questions Regarding Advising?

Each undergraduate program has a designated UG Advisor who can be consulted on any issues but particularly those issues not associated with the faculty advising process. There is also a CEE Student Affairs Coordinator. For the 2018-2019 Academic Year, these contacts are:

Professor M.G.McNally
CE Undergraduate Advisor [except Fall 2018]
EnE Undergraduate Advisor [Wtr/Spr 2019]
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: AIRB4048 / 949-824-8462
Professor Diego Rosso
CE Undergraduate Advisor [Fall 2018]
EnE Undergraduate Advisor [except Wtr/Spr 2019]
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: ET 844F / Tel: 949-824-8661
Kylie Springsteen
Student Affairs
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor Sunny Jiang
Department Chair
Civil and Environmental Engineering

• Who/what/where are the HSSOE UG Counselors?

The Undergraduate Student Affairs Office offers academic advising by both academic counselors and peer advisors in the School's Student Affairs Office, 305 Rockwell Engineering Center. Counselors are full time HSSOE staff whose role is to advise students on program rquirements and to develop a Plan of Study that serves as a roadmap for completing your degree. Meetings with counselors can be scheduled as 30 minute appointments. Each counselor has walk-in hours for "quick" questions at least once per week. Peer Academic Advisors are generally available for walk-ins at some point each day. Their office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The office closes between noon and 1 p.m. for lunch. Feel free to contact them at (949) 824-4334 or via email at .

• What Is My Plan of Study?

A Plan of Study is simply a four year schedule of planned courses that will facilitate your completion of your degree program on time. You should meet with an HSSOE UG Counselor once per year to develop you Plan of Study for at least the current and following year. This Plan will include all program required courses as well as General Education options.

FAQs: CEE Faculty Advising [2018-2019] [ back to top ]

[ © mgm | last revised 6 September 2018 ]